The chemical safety team at the University of Chicago is available to support principal investigators, research personnel, and students with handling, storing, and disposing of hazardous chemicals in a way that minimizes risk to people and the environment.
Since chemicals can have a variety of properties, knowledge of the hazards and effective controls are crucial to safety. Our team includes chemical safety experts with extensive research experience.
If you're dealing with a chemical spill or exposure, please call 1-2-3 (on-campus phone) or 773-702-8181 (off-campus phone) for an ORS representative to be paged. Remember to complete a UCAIR report after conditions are safe.
Free chemical carriers for UChicago labs
To promote the proper and safe transport of hazardous chemicals, we make available to all UChicago laboratories one Eagle Thermoplastics container that holds a five-pint or one-gallon bottle. To receive your free carrier, contact Chemical Safety.
Our other services and responsibilities
- Conduct annual chemical safety inspections of campus-wide research laboratories
- Develop online and in-person training about chemical hazards in the laboratory
- Assist research groups and principal investigators with the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for hazardous chemicals
- Update UChicago's Chemical Hygiene Plan and oversee its implementation campus-wide
- Collaborate with various safety entities campus-wide, including Environmental Health and Safety, the Institutional Biosafety Committee, the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, and lab safety specialists
- Perform risk assessments for the administration of, and use of chemicals in, animal work submitted to the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee
- Consult on emergency response involving chemical spills and other chemical hazards
- Oversee and maintain chemical inventory system for chemicals campus-wide