Joint Research Safety Initiative (JRSI)
The Joint Research Safety Initiative for the Physical Sciences Division (PSD) and Institute for Molecular Engineering (IME) was created at the researcher level to promote a higher level of safety awareness and to improve and sustain the safety culture in the Department of Chemistry and Institute for Molecular Engineering at the University of Chicago. Collaborating with Dow Chemical Company for advice and resources, the Joint Safety Committee will use a variety of methods to develop a mindful and integrated safety culture in the laboratories.
The JRSI is a community of students, post-docs and research assistants whose focus is to facilitate a sustainable safety culture by providing educational tools, training, and resources organization.
Office of Research Safety Policies include:
- Compliance with Personal Protective Equipment requirements in all labs.
- Improved housekeeping of labs, which includes proper chemical storage and labeling, no food or drink in the labs, defacing empty containers, etc.
- Increased communication of safety incidents and accidents by reporting them in the UCAIR system or to campus police.
- Compliance with training requirements for all members of the lab.
- Fully evaluated, up-to-date, and annually revised laboratory standard operating procedures and training documentation.
President: Ryan Menssen, Grad Student, PSD
Vice President: Jeffery Ting, Post-Doc, IME
Secretary: Laura Pudillo, Research Associate, IME
Treasurer: James Lettow, Grad Student, IME
Public Relations: Britt Fossum, Grad Student, PSD
Educational Outreach: Jonathan Keim, Grad Student, PSD and Benjamin Slaw, Grad Student, PSD
Shrayesh Patel, Assistant Professor, IME
Kimberly Mormann, Lab Safety Specialist, PSD/IME
Qiong Wu, Post-Doc, IME
For more information, visit jrsi.uchicago.edu