Safety Games Vol. 2 game time is very flexible. Deadline for registration has been extended to Oct 25. You can join anytime even if the game has already started.
The Office of Research Safety (ORS) proudly presents the sequel to the award-winning* “Safety Games”
We invite all researchers, faculty, staff, and students to join in a fun scavenger hunt that challenges your knowledge of research safety. Some of you took part in the original “Safety Games” last year, and most of you participated in training sessions or inspections through ORS, and now it’s the time to assemble a team, use your safety knowledge, and help restore the “Safety Universe” at University of Chicago.
Prizes for the winning teams, up to $100 per person! Do you have the knowledge and the creativity required to take home the prize money and bring honor and acclaim to your lab?
- Step 1: Assemble a team of 3-4 UChicago researchers
- Step 2: Register your team by completing this form
- Step 3: Follow the email instructions and put your game face on!
At the University of Chicago, our diverse scientific endeavors are constantly blending between biological, physical, material, and social sciences. During the month of October, coinciding with the ABSA Biosafety and Biosecurity Month #biosafety_biosecuritymonth, ORS is hosting a campus-wide scavenger hunt to highlight all aspects of safety and security in a research laboratory. We invite you to join us in the “Safety Games Vol. 2: Hunt for the Culture Stone” to advance the culture of safety excellence in safe research.
- Register your team by completing a form HERE. Please note: All team members will receive an email with instructions and download link for the app. In addition, each team will have a captain and team members will login with the team captain’s email address and the password assigned by ORS provided in the confirmation email. You will receive an email no later than Oct 14th @ 12:00PM.
- Researchers are defined as anyone working for, or as, a Principal Investigator in BSD, PSD, SSD, or PME departments, regardless of their position in the lab.
- Challenges can be completed any time between Oct 14th @ 12:00PM and Oct 28th @ 5:00PM CDT. The speed of completing the challenges would NOT affect the final score. Challenges with bonus points will be clearly indicated with criteria noted on each challenge.
- Registration begins Oct 7th. The 5 (Five) teams with the most cumulative points will receive awards and prizes (Each team member will win a gift card in the amount of $100, $50, $25, and $10 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th/5th place, respectively) at the award ceremony on November 6th.
- Teams will compete in a 2-week scavenger hunt in groups of 3-4 researchers. Each team will require at least 1 (one) Android or Apple smart phone or tablet with internet connection to complete the challenges. App download instructions will be sent in the confirmation email no later than Oct 14th @ 12:00PM.
- 10/7 Team signup/registration open
- 10/14 Challenges open to participants at 12:00PM
- 10/28 Challenges closed to participants at 5:00PM
- 11/6 Award ceremony
* “Safety Games-Safety Oriented Scavenger Hunt, University of Chicago” ABSA International 2018 Biosafety Promotional Award
* “Safety Games, University of Chicago” CSHEMA 2019 Marketing and Communications Award